A few things are on my mind…
1. I’m at 33,500 words on the WIP at this time. I have good writing days and bad writing days, but I’m aiming for 2K words per day. I’ve found that it is very doable, but sometimes my brain stops functioning properly in the last part of the daily goal, so I end up deleting some of what I wrote, but I catch up. My usual writing goal has been 1K words per day, but I’m upping my game this year. I’ve discovered that as long as I let the story do what it wants, I can write faster…although sometimes the complications of the story slow me down. I also quit berating myself about daily goals. Yes, I have it to keep me on track, but if I only get 500 words a day, I’m not beating myself up about it.
I want writing to be for fun. If it pays, great. If not, as long as I enjoy what I’m doing, then nothing else matters. I do this because I love to explore other ideas and have adventures I couldn’t have in my real life.
2. The current WIP is finally the next Demon Age book that I wanted to write about three years ago. And it is much better now than what I had started at that time. It’s also the beginning of something epic that was barely hinted in Tiger Born. If you want a dark fantasy that isn’t your typical medieval European setting but is on another world with swords and sorcery (and I mean that literally in the two sects of Adepts–demon hunters and sorcerers), then you’ll want to give Tiger Born a try. It’s currently on sale for $2.99, but that will be going up this spring.
3. It took a while to get back into the swing of writing after three months of straight on editing, but now that I’m into the groove again, I’m having ideas for other works. Part of me wants to write another Adronis novella but I’m not sure if there is enough demand for the series. Beneath the Crashing Waves is currently on sale for $0.99.
4. I’d like to know what you want to read. Given my style of story, what kind of ideas should I explore?
5. I’m giving away signed paperbacks to three lucky winners tomorrow, but the drawing is only from those who sign up for my mailing list when I have new book releases. You can sign up at melanienilles.com/contact.html. Submit your email address to enter but it has to be in by tomorrow, Valentine’s Day. I’ll spread the drawings out throughout the day.
And because he’s too cute to resist, my writing helper, Dargo, who decided my Mac is his:
(Luckily, I write on my Surface Pro 2, reserving the Mac for graphics/website stuff. Old habits are hard to break–some things I prefer doing on Windows.)And as soon as I posted this, he decided my warm, squishy lap was more comfortable.